13 July 2024

Closet-topping Bunk

When we designed the master bedroom closet, we included a platform for a bed on top. With the vaulted ceiling, there's plenty of head room. The platform sits at about the same height as the top triple log bunk bed in the bunk room. 

To add rigidity to the cantelever required to extend past the end of the closet I planned for 2" angle iron. 

Master closet bunk design

I ended up adding 2 more angle-iron cross members in the middle, in addition to standard 2x4's for a more rigid and safe platform with cantilevers over the front and side. It fits a twin X bunk with a little extra room at the end of the ladder, Not shown in the design is a piece of 3/4" plywood that I placed on top of the cross braces. 

Assembly with the help of my former siding forman.

The bottom edge of the platform is a 8 feet off the ground. I found a ready-to-assemble pine ladder that I stained black and sealed.  

The completed bunk and ladder

I added some beetle-stained pine to fill in the railing to keep little bodies for plummeting to their sure-and-certain death on the concrete floor 8 feet below. . 



No comments:

Post a Comment