08 September 2020

Labor Day Drains

When I test fit the garbage disposal last week, I discovered that my kitchen sink drain rough in was about an inch too high. If you look online, all the guidance says "between 18 and 22 inches off the floor."  Mine was set at 18. Still too high.  <huge grumble> <heavy sigh>

I spent Labor Day under the kitchen sink mustering the courage to cut in to a perfectly good drain pipe. I purchasd a bunch of different fittings at BigBox to give myself options. I was wanting to install a rigid ABS tee, but trying to fit a rigid drain tee between two immovable pipes on both ends was going to be more heartache than I was willing to bear. I ended up with a rubber tee secured with hose clamps on both ends to retrofit the new rough-in directly below the old one. 

Kitchen sink drain test fit

The downstairs kitchenette was much simpler, but it also does not have a disposal.

Kitchennette P-trap set and ready to receive the drain.

I test fit both P-traps, but then set them aside to hook-up after the kitchen countertops are in.  The countertops were supposed to be installed on Labor Day; then they rescheduled to Wednesday; then the called this morning to inform me that the satin/matte finish quartz we ordered was not stocked locally, so it's going to be another 7 to 10 days before that arrives. So it's looking like countertops will be in more like mid-month.

Dinner at 59-er Diner, then a 2+ hour drive home over Hwy 2 in holiday weekend traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment