03 October 2021

Fireplace mantel and speaker bar

Installing the fireplace mantel was more work than I was hoping. I bought one of the fany new floating shelf brackets that supposed to be easy to install and hold over 200 lbs. The mantel isn't that heavy, but I wanted to make sure it was stable. 

After sanding and finishing the exterior, I proceeded to route out the back to receive the male part of the bracket. That was a lot of work. An inch wide and three-quarters of an inch deep. The female bracket on the wall also needed to be perfectly straight on the wall. It took several attempts for Abbie, Colin and me wrestling to get it on.

Fireplace mantel and speaker installed.

Sideview of the floating mantel.

I angle trimmed and sanded the end of the mantel to prevent anyone coming down the stairs from getting caught up on it -- it's right at an adolescent head height. 

While I was at it, I got a Samsung speaker bar with subwoofer. The TV's sound just wasn't quite sufficient.


No comments:

Post a Comment